Cornbread

 


Norma’s Notes

  • I’ve always enjoyed cornbread, but I have never made it. I happened to have extra cornmeal from another recipe so I thought I’d give it a go. I was happy with the results.
  • This quick bread is an easy and economical side dish.
  • Cornbread can dry out easily so avoid over baking. 
  • I used a round 9 inch pan (you can double the recipe and use a 9 x 13 pan). 
  • Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen.
  • You can reheat it in the oven, microwave, on the stove top, or in an air fryer
  • This recipe serves four people. 

Ingredients 

1 cup flour

1/2 cup cornmeal

1/3 sugar

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter melted

1/4 cup oil

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

2 tbsp sour cream

Directions

1. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine and mix until blended.

2. Pour into a lightly greased 9-inch pan. 

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 17 minutes. Cornbread is done when it is golden brown and a knife to the centre comes out clean.

Serve warm with stew, chilli, soup or on its own with butter, jam or honey.

View more recipes and stories.  

PRINT RECIPE

Comments

Printfriendly